Monday, January 24, 2011

Special Mommy Christmas Sandwich


I L-O-V-E Monte Cristo sandwiches. There is something about a grilled ham and cheese sandwich that makes my heart go pitter-patter. And then to add my favorite breakfast food to the mix!? I have just died and gone to heaven!!! With this in mind, I can't believe it took almost 6 years for me to introduce this sandwich to my son. (Perhaps because I didn't want to share my indulgences??)

For Christmas Dinner we had a FABULOUS ham (cooked by moi!) and 2 days later, this is what we had left:


Oh, what to do with all this gloriousness??? Since the kiddos were home for Winter Break, I told my son that I was going to make him a "special sandwich" for lunch. I told him it was my favorite which was called a Monte Cristo. His big brown eyes light up, and then he goes: "I want a special mommy christmas sandwich too!!" How cute is that?!?!

RECIPE (or lack of...)
bread (my kids like honey wheat)
mayo
mustard
ham
cheese (I used my son's favorite, Havarti)
milk
egg

1) Spread bread with mayo and mustard.
2) Place ham and cheese on bread.
3) Beat and egg and milk in a small bowl.
4) Coat the sandwich in the egg/milk mixture.
5) Cook in a greased skillet over medium heat.

Don't cook it on too high of a heat because the sandwich will become soggy (just like when you cook french toast).

Add a sprinkling of powdered sugar and serve along with raspberry jam (my kid prefers strawberry).

And there you have a "special mommy christmas sandwich" YUM-YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment